The Institute of Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys of Australia is the representative body for Australian patent and trade mark attorneys.

This site provides the latest news and resource information about patent and trade mark law in Australia.

Current News

Level 2, 302 Burwood Road
Hawthorn VIC 3122 Australia

PO Box 419 Hawthorn
VIC 3122 Australia

P 613 9819 2004
F 613 9819 6002
E mail@ipta.org.au

History

The Institute of Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys of Australia can trace its origins back almost 120 years.

The original Australasian Institute of Patent Agents, founded in 1890, reflected two trends:

  • Expanded university courses for professions seeking industry associations to promote aims and codes of practice
  • The likelihood of an Australian Federation, leading to the replacement of different State laws with uniform Commonwealth patent laws

Another group, the Patent Attorneys Association of Australia, formed in 1916.

Three years later, however, half of Australia’s registered patent attorneys didn’t belong to either body.

In 1932, the old Australasian Institute and the Institute of Patent Attorneys of Australia amalgamated – largely because of growing international trade and the need for a single body able to liaise with similar overseas organisations.

In 1998, the Institute changed its name to The Institute of Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys of Australia (IPTA), following the Intellectual Property Laws Amendment Bill 1997  and the Trans-Tasman Mutual Recognition legislation.

IPTA also amended its Memorandum of Association, Articles of Association, Code of Ethics and Ethics Guidelines. The changes were designed to:

  • Enhance and maintain the standing of IPTA Fellows
  • Broaden membership categories to encompass registered Australian trademarks attorneys

The Annual General Meeting and Dinner developed into the Annual Conference. Initially attended by members and official guests only, these Conferences were male-only events until the first female member was admitted as a Fellow in 1962.

Today, the Institute boasts 98 female Fellows.

While members’ work was originally honorary, a permanent Secretariat was established in 1980, allowing IPTA to take on larger, more time-consuming initiatives.

IPTA’s Academy of Education was introduced in 1999, providing training for student patent attorneys, helping them obtain qualifications to practise as patent attorneys in Australia and New Zealand.

Initially, Drafting Patent Specifications and Interpretation and Validity of Patent Specifications were offered, with Patent System being added in 2000.

IPTA members now have a more effective lobbying voice, higher profiles within industries they serve and growing ties with other intellectual property bodies around the world.

The History of Pre-Acceptance Publication in Australia - Article by Mr Michael Caine, IPTA Councillor, March 2009.

 

Past Presidents click here