The purpose of this discussion panel is to provide an opportunity for the more junior members of the IP profession to interact with the Melbourne based Examiners (and vice versa).
Importantly, we are offering attendees the opportunity to ask their own questions in the style of Q & A to allow for audience participation. The event is to focus on Manner of Manufacture. You might, for example, like to ask the panel:
– Do you consider that the language of ‘manner of manufacture’ test for patentable subject matter in Australia outdated? If so, how should we reframe the test? Is it appropriate to follow the US’s inclusion or UK’s exclusion based tests for patentable subject matter?
– Do you consider there is a difference between ‘discoveries’ and ‘inventions’ in the field of biotechnology e.g. claims to genetic materials and does the ‘manner of manufacture’ test for patentable subject matter in Australia appropriately deal with it?
– Is ‘manner of manufacture’ test for patentable subject matter in Australia providing too wide a scope of monopoly compared to say the US where it appears to be more difficult to obtain patents, for example, to diagnostic methods? How do you think this will affect research and investment in these fields going forward?
There will be 3 members from IP Australia:
– Keith Wagg (Hearing Officer & Senior Examiner, Chemistry (Melbourne))
– Xavier Gisz (Hearing Officer & Senior Examiner, Mechanical (Canberra))
– Sarah Smith (Hearing Officer, Patent Oppositions Hearings (Canberra))
And, there will be 3 representatives for IPTA:
– Marcus Fleming – Barrister – List G Barristers
– Danielle Burns – Patent Attorney (SA) – Biochemistry – FB Rice
– Gavin Adkins – Solicitor and Patent Attorney (SA) – Biochemistry – Griffith Hack
Jarrod Voss (Trainee Patent attorney, FB Rice) will chair the event.
Members of IPTA who have less than 10 years’ experience in the profession and who are not a Special Counsel or Partner/Principal of a firm will be given priority for the event. Other members wishing to attend may apply to IPTA.
This event is open to IPTA members only.
Refreshments will be available from 5.45pm, the presentation will begin at 6.15pm.
RSVP: 2 FEBRUARY 2018